Why Are LED Lights Energy Efficient?

by Adhecogen

LED lights are being promoted as the most energy efficient lighting solution available on today’s market but what is it that makes them so efficient? To help you understand why LED lights are the best choice for industrial, residential and commercial applications we have put together the top reasons why these lights conserve energy.

Longer-Lasting Lights

LED lights are generally rated for at least 50,000 hours, which means that they will last for approximately 7-16 years (50,000 hours = 16 years @ 12 hours / Monday-Friday workday or = 7 years @24/7 usage)  before needing to be replaced. Traditional lights have to be replaced more often. This means that more light bulbs must be manufactured and distributed to retail stores. It is a lot of wasted energy and also a lot of material that is being added to local dumps every year.

Less Hazardous Waste

CFLs contain toxic mercury and should be brought to a hazardous waste disposal facility when they burn out. All too often, however, the bulbs just get tossed into the regular trash and end up at a landfill. This mercury can then enter groundwater and harm the environment. Mercury is highly toxic and if a person is exposed to it he may have problems with his nervous system, experience kidney damage or a host of other neurological disorders. LED lights are eco-friendly and don’t contain the hazardous waste found in regular light bulbs.

Less Heat

When you turn on a traditional lightbulb you won’t be able to touch it. There is a lot of heat emanating from the bulb, which means that a lot of energy is being burned to produce this heat. With LEDs, most of the energy is transferred directly into light allowing them to operate close to 80% efficiency. Incandescent light bulbs only work at 20% efficiency with the other 80% being transferred into heat.

Smart Lighting

A lot of people are using smart lighting systems that automatically turn lights on and off as required by the individual owner. These systems allow the homeowner to use less energy and when combined with LEDs, they provide the perfect energy efficient lighting solution. As well, LEDs offer a variety of light colours and temperatures to choose from and can be mixed and matched in various rooms of the house.

Energy efficient lights will save you money and will help the environment. You’ll also have more time on your hands because you won’t have to devote as much time and energy to changing light bulbs. To find the best LED light selection on the market today, please visit adhecogen.com or give us a call today at (905) 282-0881 to discuss your customized lighting needs.v

  • By Adhecogen
  • |
  • Dec 22 2016
  • |
  • |